Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Story of a Modern Day Robin Hood?

Last night I FINALLY got to watch In Time. And I must say that it was pretty awesome. I'm a movie buff and this has been on my must see list since I saw the first preview. I'm so happy it lived up to my expectations. Actually, it went further than that. I'll admit I wasn't expecting a lot. A movie with Justin Timberlake just doesn't leave a lot to be expected, but I was wrong!

For those who don't know, In Time is about a world that uses time as its currency. People stop aging at the ripe age of 25, but are only engineered to live a year after that. In the movie, they refer to the aging as turning 25 so many times. For example, if they lived to be 27, they would be 25 for the third time. Once somebody's time is up, they die. It's actually really sad. They can always collect more time though. For the rich, it's super easy to aquire it. The poor have to beg, borrow, and steal to get more time. Will Salas, played by Timberlake, is poor and almost always has just 24 hours of time to his name. He manages to find more, but it's not easy. He acquires time from a guy who has a century. The man gives him all his time and leaves. This starts a long chase between Will and the Time Keeper. The Time Keeper believes that Will has murdered somebody for this time. I could keep on writing about the movie, but I want you to want to see it, so I won't ruin it for you. For more about it click here
.
The movie is actually pretty deep in meaning. It brings up the thought of being immortal. Is being immortal worth watching people die around you everyday? "We're not meant to live like this. We're not meant to live forever." This quote is something that really stuck in my head. If time was our currency would people still want to live forever? Could you watch people die around you everyday knowing that you had enough time to help them out?

You're probably wondering what does my title have to do with this? I felt that Will was a futuristic Robin Hood. As the movie progresses, he kidnaps a woman who's father owns multiple time banks. However, he doesn't get this time in a nice way. His company basically steals it from people. Will and Sylvia are attempting to steal the time back and give it to the poor. Just like Robin Hood, steal from the rich to help the poor.

As I layed down last night, I got to thinking. If we lived on time, how would you spend it? Would the quality be what mattered? Or would people just try to be immortal? It really made me think of what really mattered and how I want to spend my time. We can't get more, but we never truly know how much we have.

If you're looking for an easy movie to watch, but one that's also intriguing and genuinely different, In Time is for you.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Hmm, may have to go ahead and pick this one up. I've been considering it, but just haven't gotten there yet. Guess I'll have to move it up the priority list :)

dykesz001 said...

Sounds good,thank you for the review, I have been thinking about seeing it but didn't know if it was worth the time (pardon the pun) or the money.